I am an author, a speaker, and a columnist. My first passion is writing fiction. I believe that the love of a good book…a story well told can transcend many of the barriers that seem to separate us. I moved thirty seven times in my life and storytelling was my “go to” move. Storytelling helped me make new friends and endeared me to new communities.
I am also a Christian who is passionate about communicating an accurate account of how my faith can inform issues we face in our everyday lives. That being said, I am proud to have become a successful opinion columnist for national websites like http://townhall.com/ and http://theresurgent.com/author/chris-skates/ The world is a complex place that is often openly hostile to Christians and Christianity. In some cases that’s the fault of us as Christians as we have failed to communicate our beliefs in love and compassion. I hope my columns and blogs will be useful tools for you and that they will help you defend your values in a loving and intelligent manner.
I am a staunch political conservative. I believe that true conservatism is most compatible with a Christian view of the world. However, all opinions are welcome as long as we can have a civil discussion.
My fiction is for entertainment, my columns strive to make you think and think deeply. We need to do that as Christians. We need to be ready to engage those who disagree with our faith on an intellectual level. It is no longer enough to just say, “God says it that settles it.” Yes, it settles it for you and I. But it does not settle it for much of the outside world.
That being said, I like to have fun too. We need time to laugh and forget the world at times. My first published articles were humor pieces for print magazines, so I write humorous pieces here as well.
I post on average two to three times a week. If you want to get a flavor for what this blog is about, here are some of my most popular posts as well as my personal favorites:
And for a laugh …
Here is my “official” biographical information:
Chris Skates has 23 years experience in power plant chemistry and environmental. He is the author of multiple magazine articles, technical papers, two published novels, and multiple weekly columns. Some highlights I have experienced over the last few years:
- I was challenged to a debate on Climate Change with a member of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. (A debate which per audience exit poll, Chris won!)
- Written multiple articles and columns on energy/environmental issues.
- Published several short stories
- Become a weekly Columnist (see links above)
- Been named as an Adjunct Scholar with The Cornwall Alliance http://www.cornwallalliance.org/
- Spoken at various locations on topics such as, Christian environmentalism, the gospel, the true meaning of “faith,” climate change, church history, American history, Darwinism, and Christian Apologetics.
- My hobbies are singing bass in a quartet, hiking, hunting, mountain biking, and running. (I need to do a lot more of those last two!)
- You can follow me on Twitter @cskates
- I have been married to my wife Tracy for 29 years, and we have two children. I am a member of Rosebower Baptist Church where I am a Deacon.
Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. All opinions expressed in my columns or on this blog are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or my church. The information I provide is on an as-is basis. I make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this blog and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages from its use.